Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day 10, Wednesday April 25, Lisbon Portugal, Smart Casual

When I woke today I could see the lights of Lisbon in the distance and
by 6AM Cascais was on our port side. We passed under the Pont 25 Avril
about 7 and docked about 8, under cloudy skies (the sun did appear very
briefly). There are several cruise terminals in Lisbon and we docked
just upstream from the center of town. It is my 4th visit to Lisbon but
the previous times I have spent the majority of my time in Cascais and
Sintra.

I had booked an audio walking tour of Lisbon. We were fitted with maps
and ipods and went out pretty much on our own, exploring some of the
sights and pedestrian streets. A guide led us to the official starting
point, Commerce Square. This large square next to the waterfront is
surrounded on 3 sides by massive yellow buildings, but the square itself
is under construction and we couldn't really go there. We walked up Rua
Augusta through the Triumphal Arch to Rossio Square. Lisbon is built on
a steep hill with an upper town, we passed Elevator de Santa Justa, one
of several ways for pedestrians to get to the upper level.

From Square Figueira we looked out at St. George Castle in the distance
and passed by the Church of Sao Domingos, where a fire years ago has
left behind a dark feel to the interior. We continued through Praca dos
Restauradores to a funicular which led to the upper level of town. I
walked the hill, arriving at the top just before the funicular started
moving. The view from the Miradora at the top was beautiful. By this
time a drizzle was starting and I stopped for lunch and internet at
Rossio Square on the way back to my 1PM return to the ship. I went out
a second time around the port area but the drizzle was now becoming more
like a steady windblown rain and didn't stay long.

The weather was pretty nasty when we left at 5PM. I had hoped to get a
picture of Commerce Square from the water as we sailed away but didn't
realize the ship was moving until late. We did get a view of the
monument to mariners through the fog as we made our way down the Tagus.
In his departure message Captain Berdos prepared us for rough 8-foot
seas this evening.

This evening's headline entertainment was Goronwy Thom, a juggler,
unicyclist, and comedian. As today's parting shot, this was not a good
day to visit Lisbon. While I'd have liked better weather, I'm lucky
that I've had better opportunities to visit this vibrant city. I was
also fortunate that I don't live here. Most readers here are probably
North American and would likely be no happier than I would to have a
chilly drizzle on July 1 or July 4. I wish the people of Lisbon would
have had a better day to enjoy their celebration.

Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment