Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The time is coming

I'll be boarding Amtrak's Silver Star tomorrow to Ft. Lauderdale, 3 nights at the Hyatt Pier 66 and 2 weeks on the Solstice to Barcelona.

This will be my first time on X but I'm a veteran cruiser with past voyages on Carnival, the old Regency, Crystal, HAL, Cunard, Silversea, Windstar, RCI, and a number of small specialty companies. This will be my 12th transatlantic with previous trips on freighter Canmar Courage, Crystal Symphony and Serenity, QM2 (x5), QE2, Wind Surf and Rotterdam.

My last southern crossing was on the 14,745-ton, 312 passenger Wind Surf (Lisbon-Barbados), quite a different experience than I expect here. At that time they had just placed a new satellite in orbit and I think there will be fairly regularly available access but only time will tell.

I expect my next planned post will be from Union Station in Washington tomorrow afternoon. I will not have internet on the train so you won't hear from me after that until I reach Ft. Lauderdale.

One piece of my shtick is to usually close each post with some kind of a "parting shot". It could be most anything, a reflection on an event of the day, something from the ship, something going on elsewhere in the world at the time or something completely unrelated to cruising. I'm sure considering the timing at least one of them will have some reference to Titanic.

For today's parting shot, adventure can be any of a number of things. It could be a destination, an event, or just something new to the person. This is the beginning of several adventures, especially the new to me ports of Tenerife, Seville, and Malaga, a new ship and a new cruise line with a culture I will get familiar with soon enough. Back to packing for now but the adventure is at hand.

Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment