Thursday, April 12, 2012

Day T-3, Thursday April 12, Arrive Ft. Lauderdale

Silver Star photo taken in Orlando

I have always believed there is no such thing as a bad cruise nor a bad
train ride. That belief was put to the test today. There are 2 trains
a day to Florida. The Silver Star is supposed to arrive Washington at
2:40 and leave at 3:00. The Silver Meteor leaves later but travels a
faster route, bypassing Tampa and arriving in Ft. Lauderdale about 40
minutes after the Silver Star. I noticed about 2:30 that it had been
marked "Delayed" on the departure board. About 20 minutes later the
announcement came that it was 30 minutes late and at 2 the sleeping car
passengers were assembled to make our way to the train. The attendant
was unable to locate the right track and we were ushered first to one
seating area and then another while she investigated. We made our way
to the train about 3:30 and I boarded the sleeper closest to the diner.
The train is powered by overhead wires to Washington but then must
switch to diesel for the rest of the trip. The planned diesel
locomotive was defective and it was 4:30 before a replacement was ready
for service. We made up some time overnight but were still an hour
behind when we got to Tampa. The Silver Meteor was now ahead of us and
it's locomotive failed 2 hours North of Ft. Lauderdale with us stuck
behind it. By the time their service was restored we were 2 1/2 hours
late at Ft. Lauderdale, arriving at 7:40 instead of 5:12.
I had a starboard roomette which makes an inside cabin on a ship look
huge. I did take a couple of pictures but you are too close to the
opposite wall to get a decent camera view. The room is about 3 x 7 feet
with 2 seats facing each other and a foldout table between them. A
lavatory and sink are on the front wall and hangers on the back wall,
with a storage cubbyhole on top. If 2 are in the room an upper bunk
slides down.
I was settling into my room as the Conductor took my ticket and my cabin
attendant (think room steward) came by and introduced herself. There
are 3 seatings for dinner, 5, 6:30, and 8. All meals are included for
sleeping car passengers while those in coach can either purchase them,
snack in the cafe/lounge car, or bring their own food. A reservation
slip for 6:30 is on my table.
The dinner call came promptly at 6:30 and I joined 3 people headed for
Central Florida, disembarking about 7 hours before I do. I had the
daily special, a tender pork chop, while the others had steak and
chicken. I found fatigue catching up with me rather quickly, and was
ready when the time came to make up my bed around 10.
I woke about 6 after a pleasant night. I am on the wrong side of the
train for sunrise and went up to the lounge car. A big ball rose above
the horizon, although the trees along the tracks prevented a good
picture. The Conductor told me we were 50 minutes behind, so we made up
about 35 minutes overnight. Breakfast was French toast and bacon.
My parents retired in Central Florida making this part of the trip a bit
nostalgic. We came within easy walking distance of their mobile home
park outside Lakeland and Mom's later retirement village outside
Kissimmee. Unfortunately, both were obscured by trees but the
neighborhoods were very familiar.
I really didn't mind the extra time on the train but it was getting dark
when we arrived. I had planned on using transit to get to the hotel but
with the impending darkness went to a taxi, arriving about 8:30.
Today's parting shot comes from a remark I heard at breakfast. Some
people ride trains (and ships) because they are afraid to fly or (like
me) simply don't like it. I know and even emotionally accept that
flying is perfectly safe. So is root canal. I am not afraid to do
either one but won't pursue either without a good reason. Some people
at the next table were discussing flying and one reported a remark by a
small child. Mommy, if the earth blew up where would we land. Just
when you thought you had found all the reasons to be afraid of flying.
I wonder, if the earth blew up, where would we dock?
Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment