Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Day T-4, Wednesday, April 11, Leave home.

I left home about 8, earlier than planned, but was all packed and there was no need to delay.  I do try to use transit when I travel and the stop is a short walk from my house.  After a short ride to our mall (and a breakfast break) an hour on a second bus got me to the BWI rail station about 10.  It's a busy station on the New York to Washington line as well as a busy commuter station but does not serve long distance trains.  I was ticketed for 12:27 but they cheerfully exchanged the ticket for the next train (11AM) and I was in Washington at 11:30.  Even in this short trip I was reminded that over the next day I will be working on my "rail legs".  I'll be well prepared when I get to sea.

I normally travel with a large backpack and a smaller daypack which I wear backwards over my chest, leaving my hands free.  Once at Washington Union Station I proceeded immediately to check the big bag to Ft. Lauderdale, and then to the First Class lounge where the small bag can stay until we board the Silver Star around 2:30.  About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  I went on a diet and lost 70 pounds and about 6 months later was able to discontinue my medication.  The bags I am carrying are quite heavy but it's sobering to remember that 10 years ago I weighed less than I do now with all that stuff.  

Union Station is pretty much in the center of Washington directly in sight of the Capitol.  I took a walk around the area for about an hour.  A few weeks ago the cherry blossoms were in full bloom; there are only faded remnants left now but they are still nice looking.  In my travels I passed the Capitol, Supreme Court and some very nice white blossoms outside the Canadian Embassy.

I returned to Union station about 1 and got lunch and then wifi at Club Acela.
 
As today's parting shot, they say a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  It was actually about 180 steps to the bus stop, but Barcelona is well over a thousand miles.  The journey has begun.

Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment