Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day T-1, Saturday April 14, Ft. Lauderdale

Well, Saturday arrived on a double sour note. The morning weather was
ugly with strong winds and steady rain. I had hoped to get out to watch
some of today's 6 cruise ships arrive but I slept until 7 and they were
then all docked. My ankle was also quite sore and on rising could
barely hobble to the bathroom. It was not as bad as when the symptoms
first hit but much worse than Friday evening. Fortunately, things got
much better as the day wore on. After about 50 steps the pain in my
ankle dropped to about half of it's initial and another half once I had
the brace back on. The weather was starting to improve when I finally
left the hotel about 9:30.
After breakfast I stopped at the pharmacy and purchased a cane. After
walking about 6 blocks with it the cane didn't really seem to make much
difference but it will be useful at times when I don't have the brace.

When I did laundry and had a late lunch it was quite windy but the sun
was mostly out. I had been planing to find a vantage point to watch the
ships in port sail away. As I was making my way up the 17th Street
bridge the Crown Princess, the ship closest to me, had pulled out of the
berth and was starting to leave the exit channel. There was about a
half hour wait before the Oasis of the Seas started backing away from
the dock, swiveled and made it's way out to sea. 40 minutes later the
RSS Navigator backed away and went out to sea. What a contrast between
those two. In another 15 minutes or so the Liberty of the Seas pulled
away from it's berth swiveled 90 degrees and headed off. Almost
immediately the Eurodam started backing a half mile or so out it's side
channel and went off towards Europe. I left the bridge for dinner with
the Navigator of the Seas getting ready to depart. No Celebrity ships
in port today.

After dinner I was ready to head back from the mainland to the hotel. I
had just missed my planned bus and went ahead and walked it, making it
home before the next bus arrived and the ankle posed minimal
difficulties. (as I write this Sunday morning the ankle is about the
same as last night, definitely better than Saturday morning).

It's amazing how much junk I unpacked for my stay and spent most of the
evening repacking.

Today's parting shot wonders a bit about the cities named on various
vessels. I understand cruise ships finding advantageous places to
register but a couple of things I saw from the bridge amazed me. A
water taxi was running back and forth under the bridge with "Boston" on
the stern. He seems to be a bit out of his territory. A ferry makes
daily runs to the Bahamas. It had "Barcelona" plastered on the side. I
don't quite understand the connection, and doubt that it runs between
Barcelona and the Bahamas. If so, I'll feel much safer going there on
the Solstice.

Roy

3 comments:

  1. Enjoying the blog Roy!!!

    Glad to hear your ankle is doing better!!

    One suggestion from a long time Cane user, if it is your left ankle that is bothering you, place the cane on the opposite side. The doctor told me years ago that many people use their canes on the side that hurts and that is wrong. I did what he said and it works:)

    Gonna be watching you sail away today and wishing I was there:)

    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joanie. The good news is even after just walking around the hotel room a bit the ankle now feels almost normal, even without the brace. I'll wear the brace to embarkation, but with a little luck will never have to use the cane. It will be nice to have the cane with me, just like having fire insurance on a house that never catches fire, you know it's available if you need it.

    Roy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are probably at the port now, if not even on Solstice:)

    Got your location on the ship bookmarked in my old brain and will be waving at you from home. Have a Blast my friend!!

    Joanie

    ReplyDelete